Scenes from Chem Camps.
Fun with Chemistry camps have been a Madison tradition since their inception in 1984. These 5-day afternoon summer programs offer a perfect combination of innovative hands-on science curriculum and fun!
An ICE Fun with Chemistry Camp is really special because campers actually get to do science, they don't just watch it happen! Through experiments, projects, and discussions they explore chemistry and science in laboratories in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Experienced staff supervise students in small groups, emphasizing lab safety while communicating fundamental science concepts and encouraging campers to exercise their reasoning skills. Campers entering grades 5 to 8 will typically carry out a variety of laboratory experiments including:
- Metals flame tests
- Plating pennies
- Paper chromatography
- Reaction of monomers to create slimy polymers
- DNA isolation
- Substance analysis
- Synthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles
- Flocculation, water treatment
Learn more about ICE Fun with Chemistry Camps:
- What parents tell us
- Join the waitlist for Summer 2019 Camps
- How to enroll your child(ren)
- 2018 Camp schedule (past Camp schedule)
Comments from parents
Hands-on at Chem Camp.
- The program was wonderful. My daughter learned so much and can't wait to attend [another camp].
- Great experience for a boy who loves science!
- Can't wait to go again. [My child] told [their] 6th grade science teacher about it...and showed [their] class the things they brought home!
- They absolutely loved it. [My kids] came home every night excited. Loved the labs and pretty much everything!
Join the waitlist for Summer 2019 Camps
The 2019 Summer Chemistry Camp schedule and registration will open in mid February 2019. Email the ICE Office to be added to a waitlist for the Summer 2019 camps. We'll notify you when the schedule is posted.
How to enroll your child(ren)
- First, read all information in this section about required forms, charges, payment, and cancellation/ refund policies.
- Then, go to the camp schedule to register your child.
Before your child can attend Chemistry Camp, University of Wisconsin-Madison and ICE require that the forms listed below be completed, signed, and received for each registered camper.
- Health Information Form (mandatory), Asthma Action Plan (if needed), and Diabetes Management Form (if needed)
- Waiver Form (mandatory)
- Pick Up Form (mandatory)
Send scanned forms by email to: email@example.com
Send printed copies by U.S. Mail to: ICE, Institute for Chemical Education, Department of Chemistry, 1101 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706.
Charges and Payment:
The registration fee for each one-week half-day camp session is $230. Campers may register for multiple sessions. Payments can be made by credit card during the online registration. (Those who need to pay with a check will find complete instructions with the email that confirms your registration.)
Note: Payment must be received within two weeks of submitting the registration or your child’s spot in the camp session will be automatically cancelled.
Camp Scholarships are available through support from Millipore Sigma for those who can demonstrate need. If you are applying for a camp scholarship, do NOT register online. Contact ICE at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 608/262-3033 before registering.
- If your plans change and your child can no longer attend a camp session you have registered them for, please contact the Cashier’s Office, University of Wisconsin-Extension, 432 North Lake Street, Madison, WI 53706; 608/262-2451.
- Cancellations received by or before May 18, 2018 will receive a 75% refund.
- Cancellations received after May 18, 2018 and up to 14 days before the beginning of your child’s session will receive a 40% refund.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations that are received within 14 days of the beginning of the session for which your child is registered.
- Refunds may take up to 6 weeks for UW-Madison to process.
Note: your child is not confirmed for Chem Camp until payment is received and all forms listed above have been completed and received by ICE. The deadline for receipt is by or before May 18, 2018.
2018 Summer Chem Camp Schedule and Online Registration
Session 1: Fun with Chemistry Camp
June 18–22, 1 p.m. to 4:15 p.m
Session 1: Registration Closed
At the Fun with Chemistry camp, each day your camper will have two hours of laboratory work, and a period of group discussion. Experiments students will run include flame tests of common metals, making acid-base test papers, reaction of an acid and a new penny, chromatography (several), plating copper, and polymer (several).
Session 2: Fun with Inventions Camp
June 25–29, 1 p.m. to 4:15 p.m
Session 2: Registration Closed
In this hands-on Chemistry Inventions camp, students will learn and practice concepts from chemistry, engineering, and materials science. Campers will learn: how to use an electron microscope; how to make and use gold and silver nanoparticles, liquid crystals, and more.
Session 3: Fun with Forensics Chemistry Camp
July 9–13, 1 p.m. to 4:15 p.m
Session 3: Registration Closed
During each session of the Fun with Forensics Science camp participants will gather evidence from a different crime scene: collect DNA information, gather and interpret fingerprints, do drug analysis, and employing the scientific method to solve mysteries and crimes. Guest speakers from forensic science related careers enhance the program's connection to real-life science.
Session 4: Fun with Engineering Camp
July 16–20, 1 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Session 4: Registration Closed
This Fun with Engineering camp provides students with hands-on activities that introduce them to different engineering disciplines and some basic engineering principles. In this camp students use the engineering design process to develop a Morse telegraph, build a water recycling system, learn to program using Scratch, build hydraulic systems, and more.