Summer Chemistry Camps
During a summer Fun with Chemistry Camp one of our undergrad group leaders works with a middle school Chem Camper.
Fun with Chemistry camps have been a local Madison tradition since their inception in 1984. The 5-day morning or afternoon summer programs offer a perfect combination of innovative hands-on curriculum and fun! In summer 2015, campers entering grades 5 to 8 will carry out a variety of laboratory experiments including:
- Metals flame tests
- Plating pennies
- Paper chromatography
- Reaction of monomers to create slimy polymers
- DNA isolation
- Substance analysis
- Ferrofluid synthesis
- Synthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles
At an ICE Fun with Chemistry camp, campers actually get to do science, not just watch it happen! Through experiments, projects, and discussions they explore chemistry and science in laboratories in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Experienced staff supervise students in small groups emphasizing lab safety while communicating fundamental concepts in science and encouraging campers to exercise their reasoning skills.
The registration fee for each one-week camp session is $210. Campers may register for multiple sessions.
Camp Scholarships are available through support from Sigma-Aldrich. For more information, or to apply for a Camp Scholarship, contact Francisca Jofre with ICE at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 608/262-3033 before regisitering your student.
Chem Camp Comments
See what parents and past campers have to say about the Chem Camp experience!
- The program was wonderful. My daughter learned so much and can't wait to attend in 2011.
- Great experience for a boy who loves science!
- Can't wait to go again. [My child] told [their] 6th grade science teacher about it...and showed [their] class the things they brought home!
- They absolutely loved it. [My kids] came home every night excited. Loved the labs and pretty much everything!
2015 Summer Chem Camp
Registration will open February 16, 2015!
A description of the 2015 chem camps and schedule are below.
Fun with Chemistry Camp
June 22–26, and July 6–10, 8:45 a.m. to 12 noon
At the Fun with Chemistry camp, each day your camper will have two hours of laboratory work, and a period of group discussion. Experiments students will run include flame tests of common metals, making acid-base test papers, reaction of an acid and a new penny, chromatography (several), plating copper, polymer (several).
Fun with Chemistry Inventions
June 22–26, 12:50 p.m. to 4:05 p.m
In this hands-on camp students will learn and practice concepts from chemistry, engineering, and materials science. A variety of new experiments have been added for 2015! Campers will learn: to use an electron microscope; how to make and use gold and silver nanoparticles, liquid crystals and more.
Fun with Forensic Chemistry Camp
July 6–10, 12:50 p.m. to 4:05 p.m.
During each session of the Fun with Forensics Science camp participants will gather evidence from a crime scene, collect DNA information, gather and interpret fingerprints, employ the scientific method to solve mysteries and crimes. Guest speakers from forensic science related careers enhance the program's connection to real-life science.
- Payment must be received within two weeks of submitting registration forms or your child's spot in the camp session will be automatically cancelled.
- If your plans change and your child can no longer attend a camp session you have registered them for, please contact the UW Extensions Registrations Office via e-mail or phone at 608-262-2451.
- Cancellations submitted by or before May 26, 2015 will receive a 75% refund.
- Cancellations submitted after May 26, 2015 and up to 14 days before the beginning of your child's session will receive a 40% refund.
- No refunds will be issued for cancellations that are submitted within 14 days of the beginning of the session for which your child is registered.
- No refunds will be issued for optional lunch fees.
- Refunds may take up to 6 weeks for processing.
Before your child can attend Chemistry Camp, University of Wisconsin-Madison and ICE regulations require that the Waiver Form, Health Information Form, and Transportation Form be signed and returned to ICE by or before May 26, 2015 by U.S. mail (ICE, Institute for Chemical Education, Department of Chemistry, 1101 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706).